Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Love Is Not Blind-- It Is Bound


Special thanks goes to my friend Steph for recommending this talk to me. As soon as I heard the title I knew I would love it, and I did. I'm going to curb the desire to hash out the majority of my thoughts on the subject, as they are still in progress. But I will say that my own progression in relation to the gospel has followed a similar trajectory to the one outlined in this talk, so I appreciated seeing it addressed by elder Hafen, especially with such astute insight.

"The fundamental teachings of the restored gospel are potent, clear and unambiguous; but it is possible, on occasion, to encounter some ambiguity even in studying the scriptures... Even though God has given us correct principles by which we are to govern ourselves, it is not always easy to apply them to particular situations in our lives. "

No it is not easy, but it is, perhaps, the substance of what this earth life is all about. I would like to assert that it is through this uncertainty, and our continual efforts to apply the gospel to sometimes ambiguous situations, that we accomplish the majority of our growth. To always be striving, reaching, seeking to bridge the gap between what is and what should be - I think this is maybe a good thing to be. Not forever of course, but maybe just for now, while we transition our tastes from less milk to more meat.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Collette Mae said...

Well, without listening to the talk (although I plan to eventually) I think you are right on. It reminds me of one of my all time favorite scriptures (which has helped me in a lot of my big decisions in life). D&C 58:26-28 (ish).

26For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

27Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

28For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

Really this scripture gets to me every time. THE POWER IS IN THEM. AWESOME! Right?

Again, without knowing what the talk contains, I am reminded by the title of Pres. Monson (I think) in last priesthood session "Choose who you love and love who you choose." There was definitely a point in my life where I chose to love God and now I am bound to Him and that is that :) Same in marriage. Badabing

Also this is completely off topic but I heard this quote this weekend and I think you will love it! "We are not obedient because we are blind, we are obedient because we can see." Love it, right?

Mish said...

Love it, love you. I esp. love what you said about how you made the choice to love God and now you are bound to Him, and it's the same with marriage. Gives me chills cause it's (I believe, anyway) so true!